HomeMy WebLinkAbout78 River St MACRIS 2018Massachusetts Cultural Resource information System
Scanned Record Cover Rage
Inventory No: YAR.331
Historic Name:
Common Name:
Address: 78 River St
City/Town: Yarmouth
Village/Neighborhood: South Yarmouth Village; Bass River
Local No:
352
Year Constructed:
c 1770
Architect(s):
Architectural Style(s):
Colonial
Use(s):
General Retail Store; Post Office; Secondary Dwelling
House; Single Family Dwelling House
Significance:
Architecture; Recreation
Area(s):
YAR. H: South Yarmouth - Bass River Historic District
Designation(s):
Nat'l Register District (05/2911990)
Building Materials(s):
Wall: Wood; Wood Clapboard
Foundation: Brick
The Massachusetts Historical Commission (MHC) has converted this paper record to digital format as part of ongoing
projects to scan records of the Inventory of Historic Assets of the Commonwealth and National Register of Historic
Places nominations for Massachusetts. Efforts are ongoing and not all inventory or National Register records related to
this resource may be available in digital format at this time.
The MACRIS database and scanned files are highly dynamic; new information is added daily and both database
records and related scanned files may be updated as new information is incorporated into MMC files. Users should
note that there may be a considerable lag time between the receipt of new or updated records by MHC and the
appearance of related information in MACRIS. Users should also note that not all source materials for the MACRIS
database are made available as scanned images. Users may consult the records, files and maps available in MHC's
public research area at its offices at the State Archives Building, 220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, open M -F, 9-5.
Users of this digital material acknowledge that they have read and understood the MACRIS Information and Disclaimer
(http://mhc-macris.net/macrisdisclaimer.htm)
Data available via the MACRIS web interface, and associated scanned files are for information purposes only. THE ACT OF CHECKING THIS
DATABASE AND ASSOCIATED SCANNED FILES DOES NOT SUBSTITUTE FOR COMPLIANCE WITH APPLICABLE LOCAL, STATE OR
FEDERAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. IF YOU ARE REPRESENTING A DEVELOPER AND/OR A PROPOSED PROJECT THAT WILL
REQUIRE A PERMIT, LICENSE OR FUNDING FROM ANY STATE OR FEDERAL AGENCY YOU MUST SUBMIT A PROJECT NOTIFICATION
FORM TO MHC FOR MHC'S REVIEW AND COMMENT. You can obtain a copy of a PNF through the MHC web site www.sec.state.ma.uslmhc
under the subject heading "MHC Forms."
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Massachusetts Historical Commission
220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, Massachusetts 02125
www.seG.state.ma.us/mhc
This file was accessed on: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 12:23 PM
FORM B - BUILDING
MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Office of the Secretary, State House, Boston
4. Map. Draw sketch of building location
in relation to nearest cross streets and
other buildings. Indicate north.
/ K,
ltb0 t�
N@
IV
rot
ary
R
i
V
e
r
S
t
r
e
e
t
Willow Street
T (Seven
Chimneys
L
Private drive
In Area no. Form no.
33!
Yarmouth
own (Bass River)
78 River Street
ddress
me
sent use Summer residence
esent owner John Douglas Clark
scription.
to c. 1770
Source Sight
le Georgian
Architect
Painted red
Exterior wall fabric clapboard
Outbuildings (describe)
Cape type struct. w/
Other features door to extreme side
of 3 windows in front face. Morti
tenon const. --brick found. and 9/
windows; w/ adjacent smaller wins
on gable ends. Front windows sit
Continu
Altered X Date ously
Prior t
Moved X Date 1880
5. Lot size..
One acre or less X Over one acre
Approximate frontage 30'
Approximate distance of building from stree
30,
6. Recorded by Don Elrick
Yarmouth Historical
Organization Survey
Date January 1980
* well below cornice and main house
(over)appears wider than typical Cape. There
a large l story extension leading to 2
small additio~+s, one also w/ chimney.
7. Original owner (if known)
Original use
Post office and creneral store, mics 19t�li centu.
Subsequent uses (if any) and dates su imer residence after 20th century
8. Themes (check as many as applicable)
Aboriginal
Conservation
Recreation
Agricultural
Education
Religion
Architectural
X Exploration/
Science/
The Arts
settlement
invention
Commerce
_X Industry
Social/
Communication
X Military
humanitarian
Community development
X Political
Transportation
9. Historical significance (include explanation of themes checked above)
Although the exact date and original spot from, which it came are not
known it is thought that this old red house was moved to its present site
sometime after the mid 19th century. The property on which it now sits
was owned, in 18581 by Joseph B. Honer and there is a house depicted on
the map of that _near. However, between that date and 1350 the Brown
family, represented by a Mrs. Brown on the Barnstable Atlas, acquired
the property and held on.
This Mrs. Brown was the wife of William Henry Brown who died in 1874 and
it is probably in this house that the couple raised their family. Their
children included William Jr., Allen, Alfred and John Picket
The last sore, John Pickett, seems to have been the one to inherit the
house from his widowed mother who in turn had obtained ownershiv via
William Henry's will. The will signed with a very shake hand gave the
wire, whom he obviously respected, full control of the estate.
Son John Pickett became :postmaster and harbormaster and it �•ias during
his tenure that this house served as the post office for the Lower Villacr
Captain John ( for he was also the master of the tow boat "Blue Jay") died
in 1935, but his house, with all its numerous additions, continued as it
had for all of the last two centuries.
Where it came from, when and who moved it may never be known, but the
house has enough history at its present site to interest us.
10. Bibliography and/or references (such as local histories, deeds, assessor's records,
early maps, etc.)
A. 1658 Tri County Map, Walling, Boston
B. 1.880 and 1907 Atlases of Barnstable County, Walker, Boston
C. Probate of William Henry Brown
D. "Yarmouth Vital Records', Society of Mayflower Descendants, .-Marwick,
Rhode island, 1975
E. Robert Philla of 87 River Street, Bass River